Thursday, October 31, 2013

Things I've Sewn Lately: Groomsperson Dress

As promised, I put together a short post on the dress I made for myself for Andrew and Caren's wedding. 



I used Butterick B 5748 again, which is a reproduction pattern from 1959. It's super simple -- just a scoop neck with a low scoop back and a circle skirt with a full lining.


The directions we got for picking dresses were pretty simple: knee-length, sleeveless dresses in the wedding color. Rather than buy one, I made my dress (and I also made one for a friend.)

I loved my first version of B 5748 and I knew it would be great for dancing and comfortable for an all-day event, so it was an easy choice.


For the reception, I wore my off-white Cake Patterns Pavlova top. During the ceremony, I wore a little bow belt I made up, but I took it off when I put on the sweater and it didn't make it into these pictures -- woops! 

I also put on flats for the reception. I had super cute Michael Kors nude pumps for the ceremony, and I thought I'd wear them for more of the reception, but the lawn where we took pictures was pretty wet and muddy and I ended up standing on my toes for the entirety of pre-wedding picture time so that I didn't sink into the lawn, so flats were definitely in order by the time the ceremony was over. 

I'm also wearing my paternal step-grandmother's pearl necklace and absolutely gorgeous pearl earrings given to the ladies in the bridal party by the bride and groom. 



The only change I made from the last time I made this dress was to put the zipper in the center back, rather than the side. I enclosed the zipper in the lining, a la Sewaholic Cambie.

I also got to use my chalk hem marker for the first time. That thing is fun! I snagged it from JoAnn's with a 50 percent off coupon a couple weeks ago and it definitely made marking the hem on a circle skirt much much simpler!


I don't know how much wear I'll get out of this dress since it's a shiny cotton sateen, but it was a great fit for the wedding and I had a lot of fun making both groomsperson dresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment